Monday, June 19, 2023

The World is Bigger than You & Bigger than Me

The world is bigger than you and me. 




My wife was born in Nicosia, Cyprus while her parents worked to spread the love of God. She only lived there a few months before retiring to the US, yet here parents and two sisters were there for a little over five years. Thus our trip was her and her sibling first return back to the island nation. We have attempted to travel for the last three years, yet due to the pandemic, we have been delayed until now. 


What does travel to foreign lands teach you? 

What do eating foods that are unique and full of flavors outside of your daily palate provide? 


The view at 5:30am from our villa in Pervolia, Cyprus

What does immersion into different languages & cultural norms do to one's mind and thoughts? 




The balcony view from the villa. 



Main Street Pervolia, Cyprus



It reminds you that the world is bigger than you, and it is bigger than me.


History of Cyprus - 



Traveling to a foreign land is not new for my wife and me as we lived in Greece for a few months during college and have traveled abroad. 


As I grow older, the enormity of the world and the often arrogance of my daily living continue to make me pause. 


My world is small and narrow. My daily interactions and scope of exposure are simplified until I enter a new culture and way of living. 


I like to think of myself as cultured enough to grasp others' life experiences as bigger than my own, yet I get so accustomed to my own way of living I forget that my way is not the only way and my experiences are not the only ones. 




Turkish Ear Singeing - One of the best haircuts I've ever had...and cheapest! 


Raiders fan and local skate shop owner in Larnaca - awesome fella that fell in love with NWA in the 90s, thus the Raiders gear. 




The family of the first home Steph's parents lived in. Terry knocked on the door, and after a brief conversation, we were in the backyard having fresh lemonade!
The couple are the original landlords that the Duffys rented the second level of the home from. 



We met with the family that Terry and Karen lived next to in the final home before returning to the US. 

I guess its a recognition that unless you get out of your own space, you think everyone lives like you do. 

They don’t…..



The Limassol church of Christ, where we worshiped Sunday night. The church has members from China, Bulgaria, the UK, Ukraine, Russia, Cyprus, and Cameroon.













Talent! 
The fella danced with cups on his head. 


 Dancing with cups on my head....
They made me think I was balancing multiple cups the entire time...yet I only had one on my head. 






Paphos, Cyprus


Fresco's from the 2nd Century
-Tradition states that Lazarus, the man Jesus raised from the dead, came to Cyprus soon after his time with Jesus. Tradition also states that he started a church and was buried beneath it. His skull and bones are in the case that people will kiss. 


Northern Republic of Cyprus - Turkish Control






Lunch in Kyrenia, Northern Republic of Cyprus



The ancient & modern walls of Nicosia 






Passing through immigration control between Cyprus & Northern Cyprus/Turkey




Abby of Bellapais - Northern Cyprus


Turkish controlled Nicosia




Cliffs of Ayia Napa 
https://hanskullin.se/sea-caves-ayia-napa-cyprus/







The mountain village of Kakopetria - 










What does travel teach me? 


To be grateful for the nation I live in and the progress we have made in the US. 


To be grateful for the culture of freedom, we have in the US. 


To know that my children have the world before them and never take that for granted. 


To know that God has and WILL always reign. 













No comments:

Post a Comment

The World is Bigger than You & Bigger than Me

The world is bigger than you and me.  My wife was born in Nicosia, Cyprus while her parents worked to spread the love of God. She only lived...